On Golden Pond
Written by Ernest Thompson
Presented by First United Methodist Church Dallas
Directed by Jane Farris
This is the love story of Ethel and Norman Thayer, who are returning to their summer home on Golden Pond for the forty-eighth year. He is a retired professor, nearing eighty, with heart palpitations and a failing memory—but still as tart-tongued, observant and eager for life as ever. Ethel, ten years younger, and the perfect foil for Norman delights in all the small things that have enriched and continue to enrich their long life together. They are visited by their divorced, middle-aged daughter and her dentist fiancé, who then go off to Europe, leaving his teenage son behind for the summer. The boy quickly becomes the “grandchild” the elderly couple has longed for, and as Norman revels in taking his ward fishing and thrusting good books at him, he also learns some lessons about modern teenage awareness—and slang—in return. In the end, as the summer wanes, so does their brief idyll, and in the final, deeply moving moments of the play, Norman and Ethel are brought even closer together by the incidence of a mild heart attack. Time, they know, is now against them, but the years have been good and, perhaps, another summer on Golden Pond still awaits.
Both days beginning at 6:30 pm
First United Methodist Church Dallas
1928 Ross Avenue
Dallas, TX 75201
March 26-May 19, 2018
May 18, 19, 24-26, 2018, at 7:30 pm
- Audition appointments are not required.
- Call 214-220-2727 ext. 218 for more information.
- Please bring a headshot, resume, and list of conflicts during the rehearsal time period.
- The audition will consist of cold readings from the script.
- Norman Thayer – 79 turning 80. Grouchy man not embracing challenges of aging.
- Charlie – 40-ish. Mailman for residents of Golden Pond.
- Chelsea – late 30’s-40’s. Daughter, newly married. Has issues with Norman.
- Bill Sr. – Late 40’s/50’s. Chelsea’s new husband, a dentist.
- Billy Jr. – A teenager with a chip on his shoulder, Bill’s son.
- Gas allowance,
- Comp tickets and/or other perks