Written by Katori Hall
Presented by Brandon's Dinner Playhouse
Directed by Brandon Smith
The Mountaintop begins with Martin Luther King Jr. returning to the Lorraine Motel after his sermon, I’ve Been To The Mountaintop. King sends his friend to fetch him cigarettes, ultimately leaving him alone in Room 306 as a storm rages outside. Ordering room service, King comes into contact with Camae (Carrie Mae), the mysterious and beautiful maid who strikes King’s attention immediately.
The beginning interactions between the two are filled with flirtation and humor but through the night it slowly progresses to something much deeper. King and Camae begin to discuss the hopes and fears that Martin Luther King Jr. has been feeling, forming a connection and understanding between the two. The conversation focuses on the fight for civil rights and reaches the climax when Camae reveals her true intentions for walking into King’s motel room that night.
Auditions are to be submitted virtually.
Jun. 12-13, 2020
Jun. 15-30, 2020
Jul. 1 – Sep. 30, 2020
- Please submit your resume, headshot, and a monologue of your choice by email to: BrandonsDPH@gmail.com.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – An American Christian Minister and Activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the Civil Rights Movement from 1955 – 1968. A Tall, African American Male, very well-spoken.
- Camae – An angel sent by God to collect King and bring him to heaven/ Camae reveals that king will die tomorrow, April 4, by being assasinated. An outgoing, outspoken, Southern maid.
- Gas allowance,
- Comp tickets and/or other perks,
- Equity contract(s) available,